President: Phillip Rendle
Secretary: Jennifer Paling 01736 363237
Treasurer: Dr Paula Cox
Hon. Recorder: Cedric Appleby
Meetings are held in the Salvation Army Citadel in Queen Street, Penzance at 7.15 pm
Annual subscription £7.50
Cedric Appleby for Penzance OCS reports on a recent historical survey of Penzance Harbour area by Nick Cahill, due to the proposed developments there. He notes that the block on which the war memorial at Battery Rocks is built was also the block that the guns of the battery were mounted. The south pier of the harbour built of granite has a history of extensions using the same material from medieval times and is listed Grade II. Mr Appleby has enclosed copies of two photographs presented to Penzance OCS from their member Mrs Margaret Orchard, one shows an artist’s impression of the West Cornwall Dispensary & Infirmary c1874 by architect Oliver Caldwell and a second is a bronze sign dated 1897 which was removed from Penzance Promenade and has now been returned, albeit wrongly aligned. It commemorated the opening of the new road to Newlyn, and takes the form of a direction marker pointing north. Another piece of street furniture Mr Appleby records is an old granite trough that use to stand below the Humphry Davy statue, but was previously removed by the council. It is now hoped that the trough will soon be returned.
Archie Richards of Madron OCS records a note about the proposed railway from Penzance to St Just that was never built. [ ed. note. A map of the proposed route of this railway can be seen at the Morrab Library in Morrab Gardens. Penzance.] He records a boundary stone at Galvors inscribed with a Z on one face and a M on the other, marking the parish boundary between Zennor and Madron and also a boundary stone opposite the YMCA at Tredarvah Farm. Mr Richards also noted that a plaque that once was fixed to Ennis Cottage at Sancreed, and is inscribed, George Grenfell – Born here 1849 Missionary and Explorer’ had been removed due to rotten fixings. The cottage is up for sale and it is hoped that the sign will be saved. [ ed. note. You can read his life story by clicking here A number of stiles had also been recorded at Parc an-Grouse, Trereife (Treeve) and Tregavarah.
Colours: Old Gold